Monday, February 16, 2009

collecting children's books

oh....
i just love collecting children's books - 
especially the vintage ones i remember reading as a child
syd hoff was always a favorite! 
remember....he also wrote
"danny and the dinosaur" 
but i always loved grizzwold : ) 
when my nephew had a baby - 
i just had to make them this baby quilt!
my son found syd's address on the internet years ago - 
so i wrote to him and sent him my original copy of his book - 
and look ! 
he autographed it just for me : ) 
i soon found out he passed away just a few 
months after he took the time to write me back. 
he was 91 !
i will forever cherish it!
here is a little bookshelf i have at the top of my staircase- 
filled with a few of my favs! 
mary poppins, little black sambo, curious george....
and i flipped when i found this old "nutshell library" 
of old maurice sendak stories.... 
and awwww.....  just look at cranberrie when she was so little!
am i not the luckiest mom in the whole world!
another fav is richard scarry - 
i grew up just reading all his books!
and just look at this little classic - illustrated by richard scarry! 
i am watching this one on ebay --- 
i hope i get it!
well - hope you enjoyed another little tour - 
henny penny just told me apparently 
the sky is falling....
so,
i'm off to tell the king! 
kisses and cupcakes, 
amy

12 comments:

  1. My very favorite things are children's books! I LOVE Maurice Sendak. I have had the opportunity to meet many current authors through my teaching career. I have so many signed books that are absolute TREASURES to me! The best thing is being able to pass this love on to my students and, of course, my OWN children! You have some classics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a trip down memory lane. Funny how I can't remember what I had for breakfast but I can remember all my favorite books from when I was little. Loving your blogs
    :).
    Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi cup cake, Just love saying that.
    I too collect old children's books.There is a picture on my site someplace not to far back. I like old books, kids and adults.I have found some really nice ones at the thrift store and garage sales in the summer.
    NANCY JO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, it took me back down the path to childhood memorie's, I got a little misty remembering my mom reading to me, and just learning to read and how great it was, and then... reading the same books to my girls. Thank you.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you are enjoying the images.

    All the best,
    Rocio

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cupcake. I love saying that too. I also love childrens books. I think theyare the best gifts a mother, grandma, autie, ( you get the picture)can give to babies are BOOKS, I remember a lot of old ones. I am 62 almost so there you have reason. Thank you for coming to my blog and visiting , Please do not be a stranger!
    I enjoyed visitng yours.
    I love the sock monkeys..
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy,

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for all your kind words! I think your sock monkey denim creations are absolutetly adorable! Nicole - Crafting Happens

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy....I love the Syd Hoff books. We had them all, but I think my favorite was "Danny and the Dinosaur"!!! My Mom would read these books to us without tiring. I loved sharing them with my kids when they were little!!

    Thanks for the walk down memory lane today. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love children's books too. I'm a big Curious George fan. His stories just make me smile. That is the coolest thing that you have an autograph from Syd Hoff. Truly a treasure. Your aqua bookshelf is too cute. Right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The above comment is from thriftin and craftin.blogspot.com I don't know why I showed up as anonymous. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Children's books are one of my serious weaknesses! I have a nice collection since I do daycare in my home. I can "justify" buying new ones and even write it off on my taxes, heehee!! I like a lot of the new ones in my collection I have gathered from going to the Scholastic book fairs at my own kids school, but the ones I love the best are the vintage ones. You have really inspired me....I think I will have to do a vintage children's book post on my blog too. Thanks!! Blessings- LillySue

    ReplyDelete